Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Project Proposal


Chad Brickey
LINK Project Proposal
For my internship, I am working at an automotive repair shop called Village Auto Care. At Village Auto Care, they specialize in Subaru, Toyota, Lexus, Acura, and Honda.
 My mentor is a man named Bob Davoust. Bob owns the auto shop that I will be working at. My mentor can offer me a lot; I would like to work in an automotive profession later in life and I feel that this will be great experience and Bob has the knowledge to teach me what I need to know.
As a long term career, I want to open my own auto shop that specializes in classic muscle cars probably between the 60’s through the 80’s. This internship will allow me to get some experience in the field that I want to make a career out of and will let me see if that is really what I want to do later in life.
For my project I have decided to rebuild an old engine. The purpose in rebuilding the engine would be to expand my knowledge in the automotive field. The engine is a huge part of a car and I feel that it is the most important to learn about. Doing hands on work is the best way to learn (for me that is). The auto shop that I am working at should have all of the tools that are necessary to rebuild the engine.
 I have a little bit of background knowledge with cars but not a ton. I’ve worked on a couple of different cars and I feel that that has given me a fairly good base and understanding of what I need to get started. Also I have looked at a couple things here and there on the internet about what it takes to rebuild an engine.
Supplies: The basic hand tools, an engine stand, cylinder hone, ridge reamer, piston pin compressor, piston pin press, micrometers and torque wrenches; possibly a valve grinding machine and valve lapper.
I cannot layout specific times or dates because I’m not positive as to how long the process and all the steps are going to take.
There are too many things that could go wrong with this project for me to list them all and for almost every problem there are a number of ways to fix it. I could not have a part, I could not have the right tool, something could not fit right, I could not know how to do something, a part could break, etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment